[time-nuts] lightsquared test in las vegas

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Thu Jun 9 16:47:27 UTC 2011

This is kind of in reference to other LightSquared articles that all seem to make mention of, "LightSquared's proposal for a network
of 40,000 ground transmitters..."

These 40k ground transmitters to be installed... Are they just going to be additional antennas on existing cell towers, or is
LightSquared planning to construct their own towers in new locations?

Reason I say... Cell towers are located for maximum coverage and the most dense population. Likewise, when traveling between cities
they stick them close to the interstates so people can have reception while traveling. A blind man should be able to see that
problem.

<rant>I guess the rest of the world will be able to enjoy GPS, while the US pays for it (but can't use it).... But hey, watching
people do stupid things on youtube is infinitely more necessary for the US economy than a critical navigation system deployed in
countless cars, boats, planes, and anything else that moves....

This should have been killed off a long time ago, and the frequency spectrum stripped away from LightSquared just for the mere
mention of doing something as stupid as they are trying to do...</rant>