[time-nuts] DDS'ery

Mike Feher mfeher at eozinc.com
Mon Jun 20 15:54:24 UTC 2011

Actually it is (n*Fs +/-Fo), however, they do go down in amplitude as a
SinX/X. Theoretically, they would also be there after the Sin ROM, and the
only one really of concern in the real world is the Fs - Fo, hence the LPF.
When I used to design DDSs in the early 70's, we typically tried to use an
Fs that was about 2.5 times the max desired Fo, to make filtering easier. We
also used discrete parts then :). Now, with the higher speed devices
available a real high Fs can be selected to meet a desired Fmax. Of course
the limit is always being pushed, and, the devices are never fast enough.
Regards - Mike

Mike B. Feher, EOZ Inc.
89 Arnold Blvd.
Howell, NJ, 07731