[time-nuts] DDS'ery

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Mon Jun 20 19:46:11 UTC 2011

Inside an FPGA, CORDIC can be implemented performing quite fast. An
open-source implementation of CORDIC algorithm and a DDS using look-up
table or CORDIC can be found in OpenCores, gh_vhdl_lib.

Jim, thank you very much for all the excellent references, and
particularly the last one about the CORDIC variation. The Altera
simulations of its NCO showns significant more spurii for CORDIC
(traditional one) than the other alternatives for same phase accumulator
and magnitude precisions, and angular same angular resolution, but it is
by far the most effective in terms of FPGA usage.

Probably I will use the CORDIC approach in the implementation of my
digital down-converter, but the OpenCores core instead of the Altera IP,
if it is clean enough (the signal I need to downconvert is 8-bit
quantized and with poor S/N ratio, so some -40dB spurious will not have
significance).

Regards,

Javier