[time-nuts] No more 60Hz, How do I discipline 120VAC 60Hz from a UPS

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Sat Jun 25 17:48:56 UTC 2011

Chris,

That's close to what I did, but I think the chips output to the switching
transistors was a modified squarewave, made to act like a sine wave, where
the waveform is stair-stepped. One could use a plain 60Hz crystal
controlled oscillator, and start out with push-pull amplifier stages to get
to the final switching power you need, the same or similar as building up a
push-pull transmitter.

The reason for using 12 Vdc, is that you can pick them up, and 24 Vac CT
transformer, on the cheap, with quite high power ratings. Any switching
types like this do require extra power which is expended in heat, and you
would have to calculate those losses for the main DC supply transformer.
Motorola had an application note on doing this in their catalogs around
1965-1970. That was back in the time of the large Ger. switching
transistors too.

Best,

Will