[time-nuts] No more 60Hz, How do I discipline 120VAC 60Hz from a UPS

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Sat Jun 25 21:22:20 UTC 2011

I took a look around at a few semiconductor manufacturers, and found an app
note from Freescale (Motorola), on their MC3PHAC AC motor drive chip. It
does use an external timebase of 4 MHz, but they only used a resonator, and
this could be made way more precise. Though this is a 3 phase controller
IC, they do make drives for smaller single phase motors, but I'm not sure
who makes the controller IC's, nor do I know about any external time bases
for them.

It could be as simple as buying a surplus, single phase, AC motor drive,
and setting it up for the correct speed, and adding a good timebase in
place of a resonator. I have seen these types of drives sell for pennies on
the dollar on ebay. It might be worth taking a look at.

Best,

Will

On 6/25/2011 at 1:38 PM J. Forster wrote:

>> John,
>>
>> I forgot to add, that an H bridge could work for a clock motor, since
>> those are used to drive ac motors in industry every day.
>
>Yes, of course.
>
>> You would have a sqauare
>> wave though, unless it was modified. If I recall, that's the way a lot
of
>> the AC drives work today, using four sets of switching semiconductors,
>> unless the motor is small enough to be ran off a power chip. In this
>case, I wonder how an AC drive would act if it ran a clock motor?
>
>The static inverters should not have issues with an induction motor.
>
>> Set it at 60 Hz, and be done with it?
>
>Yes, but you have to get to the H bridge timing logic to do that. That's
>why you need the prints.
>
>-John

>> Best,
>>
>> Will

>> On 6/25/2011 at 12:55 PM J. Forster wrote:
>>
>>>Certainly, the inverters can run that low, but if so they sing a lot.
>>>
>>>Best,
>>>
>>>-John

>> the

AC