[time-nuts] 60 Hz measurement party

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Sun Jun 26 16:33:44 UTC 2011

Don,

I haven't looked into it for several years, well over 12, but I will take a
gander at this. What brand was the converter?

After reading about everyone out of the US having 3 phase, it makes one
wonder why we didn't do that years ago. As of now, the only 3 phase lines
around here are close to the major roads where business resides, but when
you get into the residential areas, it's only single phase on the poles.
The only way they would run it through, would be to supply some large
business, and that was the shortest way to get it there. Plus, even though
you have a 3 phase line in front, or behind, your building, you have to pay
for the transformers, and everything else to get it into the building. I
understand paying for the meters, but the line and the transformers too?
One would think they would gladly install them over the money they would
make from supplying the power.

Anyhow, back on topic. One could simply connect a low voltage transformer,
say 5 or 12 Vac, to the line to take the measurement from, attenuate it
down, and use a logging type frequency counter, maybe a PC ran counter, and
record any variance in the frequency over the year. Using a pc based
oscilloscope comes to mind too, as most of them have a frequency counter in
the software. Last, one might be able to use the sound card, and some
kludged software, say something written quick in Visual Basic, to record
this. Here you would use the mic jack, and monitor the incoming signal.

Best,

Will