[time-nuts] How accurate are cheap radio controlled clocks?

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Sun Jun 26 16:34:04 UTC 2011

I have one of my Junghans Mega next to my computer and use it for ebay
bidding and it is always better than a second.    Bert  Kehren

In a message dated 6/26/2011 10:23:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
david.kirkby at onetel.net writes:

On  06/26/11 07:25 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
>> I've got one of the cheap  radio-controlled clocks? I was listing to
>> radio 4 the other day  and herd the time signal. The radio controlled
>> clock was about 3  seconds off. I was a bit surprised it was so far
>> off. I'm just  wondering how accurate these things are.
>
>  David,
>
> Be aware that if listening via digital radio (or worse,  digital TV)
> there is a delay in the transmission chain of up to  several seconds
> (DTV). I expect you know that already! Use the FM  signal for best
results.

I was using 198.00 kHz longwave here in the  UK. Unless there's some
digital
processing going on before the signal is  AM modulated, this can't explain
the
problem.