[time-nuts] Transformers

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Mon Jun 27 22:07:16 UTC 2011

> At the risk of incurring John's wrath ......:-))

Not at all. I'm interested in HF too. And, I've spent months trying to
quiet switchers on spacecraft.

What I do have a lot of wrath for is lame-brained "ecco-activists" who are
totally ignorant of the principles of physics, chemistry, and EE and the
clueless politicians who don't know (or care) about the difference between
engineering reality and stinking manure.

> The trouble with the so-called green switch-mode "transformers" is they
> pollute !! .............the radio spectrum!! We still have LF BC services
> in
> Europe and an LF amateur band.The noise floor has risen by nearly 20dB in
> the past 10 years, due to badly designed equipment, and/or badly policed
> EMC
> regs. Iron core transformers didn't give these problems. It also affects
> many radio clock syncs from MSF on 60kHz (there I managed to get an
> on-topic
> comment in :-))  )

The fact is that switchers can be made quiet. It costs a bit more, but
should be done.

-John