[time-nuts] TEC party file format?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Jun 28 23:56:18 UTC 2011

> The Linux or BSD pulse per second interface is general enough to work for
> this. It does not care if the pulses are one per second or 100 per second,
> or 60.

> Al it does it capture a timmer/counter when a pulse comes in.  Then fets a
> flag a user program can read that says "data available".  The user level
> programs reads the device ad gets the captured counter value, the flag is
> reset.  Very simple and very low overhead.

> I think the counter units are nanoseconds

There are two separate fields.  One is the time stamp of the last tick, the
other is a counter of the number of events since the device was created.
That's exactly what we want for this application.  You can write a simple
loop: sleep a while, grab data, log stuff where "stuff" includes the raw data
and the deltas from the last sample.

(That info is duplicated for rising and falling edges.)