[time-nuts] TEC party file format?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Jun 29 17:54:26 UTC 2011

> How does the pulse trigger the capture ? If some hardware line is polled,
> how frequent is that polling ? The counter units may well be nanoseconds,
> but the inherent uncertainty of the polling instant must be taken into
> account.

> If instead there is no polling, but it is a hardware triggering, then could
> you please give more details ? Thanks.

The code we are talking about was originally intended to let NTP support PPS
signals.

The idea is that the kernel grabs a time stamp in the interrupt routine.  The
user can poll or wait for the next event.

The details are in
  RFC 2783 - Pulse-Per-Second API for UNIX-like Operating Systems
  March 2000
  http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2783.html

Linux and *BSD generally support it.  (For Linux, you need a recent kernel.)
Details may vary.  Check the source etc.  It's probably an option when
building the kernel and may not be turned on with the default distribution.

I don't know about Windows.