[time-nuts] TV White Spaces and wasted spectrum

gary lists at lazygranch.com
Thu Jun 30 21:19:39 UTC 2011

The broadcasters don't pay for spectrum, at least like the wireless
companies do. Broadcasters serve the public in exchange for their use of
the airwaves. They pay a nominal fee for their license, but hey, so do hams.

Part of the problem is the original VHF stations lobbied to stay VHF
after the move. You could give them 3 UHF licenses and simulcast, and
still get more spectrum than the current plan.

Can't argue with you on satellite.