[time-nuts] difference between Oncore M12 and M12+T (useful when buying o...

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Sat Mar 5 23:35:52 UTC 2011

beale at bealecorner.com writes:

In case  anyone else is shopping online for a used Motorola Oncore M12+T
timing  GPS, it's probably useful to know what I just learned:

Some online  sellers offering "M12+T 100 pps GPS" may instead send you a
M12
Navigation  (non-timing) GPS. The differences:

----------------
Hi John

I'm sorry to hear you came unstuck with your purchase, as Paul commented
it's difficult to know what you're getting at times when buying online,
especially from China, but Bob (fluke.l) is well known here and one of the  more
dependable suppliers.
Amongst other things, I've bought two M12+ modules from him, similar
auction to the one you provided a link for, and both were timing versions as
expected.

A further word of warning though, there are also two versions of the M12+,
one for positioning and one for timing, and the M12+ brochure you've linked
 to at....

_http://www.wa5rrn.com/GPS%20Other/Motorola%20M12/m12plusbrochure.pdf_
(http://www.wa5rrn.com/GPS%20Other/Motorola%20M12/m12plusbrochure.pdf)

has the spec for the positioning version, note that the timing  accuracy is
indicated as less than 500nS as you mentioned for the  M12M.

There's a data pack available of assorted M12 and M12+ files, I've added
the M12+ manual to that which includes specs for both positioning and timing
versions, and will email it direct after sending this.
It's just under 7MB so should be ok for most ISPs but if it doesn't arrive,
 or if there's any problems, let me know and I'll try again.

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR