[time-nuts] MiniMac 2816AT

Jim Palfreyman jim77742 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 05:40:47 UTC 2011

Well I think there is a difference between the 2816 and the 2816AT. I think
the 2816 is indeed portable. This is definitely not. So the AT is the
stay-at-home- unit.

The power supply on this one looked like a typical old-style PC switching
power supply sending out 5V, 12V and -12V. On input it had a label saying
100-250V 45-60 Hz (roughly). So even though it had the remains of a "115V"
sticker on the outside, armed with this new information I decided to power
it up at my 240V, 50Hz.

The hard drive whirred for a few seconds and then a pretty purplish flash
occured deep within the bowels of the power supply.

I unplugged it pretty quick smart.

I hope the old PS behaved like a good fuse and protected the rest of the
unit.

At least the power supply shouldn't be too hard to replace.

Oh well. We live and learn.

:-)

Jim