[time-nuts] Low noise power supply

David VanHorn D.VanHorn at elec-solutions.com
Tue Mar 8 23:38:24 UTC 2011

I had this problem when using some ultra low light imagers.  They have NO PSRR, and the integration times were up in the 1-3 second range, so any noise on the pixel supply ended up in the image.

I used an ICL-9000 regulator which has ultra high PSRR, and I used a switcher running at a specific rate where the ICL-9000 has maximum PSRR.  I also was very concerned with waste power, so the SMPS was set up for the output to be just high enough for the linear to stay in regulation.

For this app you'd want a beefier reg, but search for high PSRR at the right current range and work backward from there.

Layout is also HUGE in keeping switchers quiet.  Most of what I do has switchers in the 1-5W range, and I only use two layer boards, but I get my noise low enough that both the pre-scan with GTEM and OATS site can't see whether I'm on or off. (conducted or radiated thru 15 GHz)