[time-nuts] GPS Usage

Jim Cotton jim.cotton at wmich.edu
Wed Mar 9 14:27:13 UTC 2011

FWIW, I work at a University and we use NTP based time as the public
key for routing updates between our routers.

Back in 1989 or so one of our students got the bright idea to write a
program to capture routing updates, adjust the values and put the
packet(s) back on the wire...  It took thirty minutes to understand the
problem and two hours to implement the crypto features across the
enterprise...

We have two GPS based timing devices plus we sync to other
sources over the Internet.

We have had one timing based issue over the years related to a
software failure in a GPS based unit which required a software update to
correct.

SSH, SSL and other things used for e-commerce do have timing sensitivities.

Jim Cotton