[time-nuts] Spacecraft Timekeeping

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Wed Mar 9 19:39:11 UTC 2011

Hello,

El 09/03/2011 19:58, Kevin Watson escribió:

> As I said in an earlier message, this is an experiment that I want to
> run and would rather not touch mission and safety-critical GNC
> components, like our navigation GPS receivers. Mass is not an issue.

So I understand that timing is not distributed (or at least not
available to you) in the spacecraft, that's a pity... I've seen in some
spacecrafts that time is distributed using a PPS signal and a
broadcasted message through MIL-1553 bus - would be a lot easier if you
could hang to it (in the cases I know, it was a MIL bus only for the
science payload TCs & HKs - independent from the GNC MIL bus). At least
you're lucky since mass is not an issue (I've met people that would have
killed for and aditional kg)

Regards,

Javier

Javier Herrero                            EMAIL: jherrero at hvsistemas.com
Chief Technology Officer
HV Sistemas S.L.                          PHONE:         +34 949 336 806
Los Charcones, 17                         FAX:           +34 949 336 792
19170 El Casar - Guadalajara - Spain      WEB: http://www.hvsistemas.com