[time-nuts] Thunderbolt setup

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 17:28:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Heinzmann, Stefan  (ALC NetworX
GmbH) <Stefan.Heinzmann at alcnetworx.de> wrote:

> Isn't that an invitation for disaster in a thunderstorm? I'm sure the US has some definite rules on how such things need to be set up and grounded.

Sorry I was thinking only about engineering, not practical maters.

Yes, you are right, there is more to it.  The rules are all local, the
US does not have a national statute. So you need to check with local
building department.   But yes all antenna masts must have a ground
wire.   You'd put a wire and a clamp on the pipe and lead it off to a
ground.  Some will go further and place a lightening arrester in-line
with a antenna cable.  But in most places the local code only requires
the mast be grounded.    Nothing will protect from a direct hit, for
that you'll need a metal tower separate from the house and an
elaborate grounding system on the tower.  But a simple grounded pipe
mast is no worst then the vent stack on a gas furnace.

The other safety concern that must to told to anyone putting up an
antenna is to look for overhead power lines and be 100% certain that
even a huge storm could never case the mast to fall onto a power line
or come even close to one, even if the utility pole falls and your
mast falls

And while we are at it.  There is a danger of falling from the roof.
Always use a safety harness if you are 6 feet above ground or more.
and never work on top of tall building or towers alone, have a spotter

Did I leave anything out?

--
=====
Chris Albertson