[time-nuts] Thunderbolt setup

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 17 06:07:52 UTC 2011

On 3/16/11 6:55 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> Every place I have lived here in the US wants you to put a simple ground block on the antenna lead. It's not much of an arrestor compared to the "real thing". Since the auction sites will sell you the right part for less than $20 (at least they used to) there's not much reason to "do it wrong".
>
> Bob

here's the problem.... the NEC (national electrical code, not Numerical
Electromagnetics Code) has 3 sets of low voltage grounding requirements
in article 810,820 and 830.  The rules for Cable TV and dish antennas
are different than for "radio receiving equipment" and which are
different from those for "telephone"

But yes, grounding the shield meets the code in general.

Otherwise, you need a "listed antenna discharge unit"

Remember that the NEC is really designed to deal with "power line to
antenna and support" faults NOT lightning (which is a different NFPA
code).  And the NEC cares not one whit whether your equipment survives,
as long as it doesn't catch fire.