[time-nuts] HP 3586A/B/C entirely referenced to 10MHz: A solution

Bert, VE2ZAZ ve2zaz at yahoo.ca
Mon Mar 21 17:11:04 UTC 2011

Hello Everyone,

I have spent the last few weeks modifying the HP 3586 Selective Level Meter. The
intent was to modify the unit and reference the SSB product detector stage to
the internal reference. This would make the entire SLM locked to the 10MHz
reference, whether internal or externally fed.

I have completed the modification with satisfactory results. I use a DDS-Based
Function Generator 16-pin IC and a small 8-pin PIC micro.  For more detail,
visit my website at http://ve2zaz.net/HP3586_AD5962/HP3586_AD5962.htm .

This has been a very good exercise from a DDS perspective and I have learned a
lot on the topic. I would be interested in hearing from those who proceed with
the mod.

Thanks,

Bert, VE2ZAZ