[time-nuts] HP-3586B SSB L.O. Mods...

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Tue Mar 22 11:44:58 UTC 2011

Hi

It's all a matter of "how many bins". There are packages out there that will work with 64K bins. At an 8 KHz sample rate, that would give you  1/8 Hz resolution. It would also take you a while to get the data. There is no practical limit to the number of bins, other than "how big is your computer". I suspect somebody out there has broken the million bin barrier.

Weather any of the fancy stuff has a usable interface (rather than C code), or will hook up to a sound card - who knows...

Bob

On Mar 21, 2011, at 11:09 PM, paul swed wrote:

> Interesting because its going to be very hard for spec lab to do it. I
> experimented tonight and the results were not good.
> What I can say is the 3586 is stable to spec labs resolution.
>
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Bob Camp <lists at rtty.us> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I forget exactly which programs do which, but there are some free spectrum
>> analysis programs that will get you way into the sub-Hz resolution with an
>> <=8 KHz sample rate.
>>
>> Bob
>>

>> On Mar 21, 2011, at 5:44 PM, paul swed wrote:
>>
>>> It can actually be calculated and it is in Berts tables.
>>> But last night I used spectrum lab and and could see the difference
>> between
>>> usb worse case.5 Hz and LSB .3Hz. It was very stable no drifting at all
>>> while tuned to wwvb. But spectrum lab was not really optimized to give me
>>> better detail. Sub Hz res. Need to figure out how you would do that
>> actually
>>> and maybe you simply can't.
>>> Regards
>>> Paul