[time-nuts] HP-3586B SSB L.O. Mods...

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 01:05:58 UTC 2011

Welll I sort of went past this and have a reasonable answer.
All system locked to a rb ref.
A HP8660 as source gen and set to 3 MC.
The 3586 if is 15.625KC.
Set a HP 3335 to the IF frequency and on a scope the signals lined right up
and are stable. Bob I think you or someone else mentioned this fact and I
verified it.

Then I went to the audio out on the 3586. That signal should be 1.850KC.
Set the 3335 to 1.85 KC and watched the drift rate for USB and LSB.
The answer is for 1 cycle drift rate is;
2.68 seconds for lsb or 2.0X10-4 (This will bring responses)
9.97 seconds for usb or 5.4X10-5

Have to say that drift is way below what my ears can hear these days.
So though I could change the DDS for FMT use and drive the decimal point at
least 3 more digits to the left. I really have to say good enough and a
success from just two weeks ago.

Regards
Paul
WB8TSL