[time-nuts] Squaring Tbolt 10Mhz output

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Mar 24 03:30:40 UTC 2011

One problem that is evident when a simple longtailed pair (differential
amplifier) is used to convert a sine wave to a square wave is the tilt
that is evident in the waveform when the output transistor is
conducting. This is due to feedthrough from the input signal via the
emitter base capacitance of the input transistor to the emitter of the
output transistor.
The attached circuit schematic illustrates one classical method of
minimising this tilt.
The value of C5 is selected/adjusted to achieve nominally zero tilt.
Compensation isn't perfect due to the voltage dependence of the emitter
base capacitance but the tilt can be significantly reduced,

Using transistors with lower emitter base capacitances also helps as
does reducing the value of the output collector load resistor.
This requires increasing the tail current to maintain the output swing.
The attached circuit produces a 3.3V pp output signal.
For lower amplitude input signals capacitively coupling the emitters of
the differential amplifier and splitting the current source so that each
transistor has its own current source can be useful in minimising the
effects of Vbe mismatches between the transistors.

Bruce