[time-nuts] Parts Selection

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Fri Mar 25 20:57:50 UTC 2011

That's my vote as well.  Can do it, have done it, will do it again, but only
for things that are interesting enough to spend the time on.  In other
words, no, I would not build a kit that replicated functionality available
in cheap surplus gear and was not otherwise technically interesting.

For instance, I built a PICTIC II even though I didn't 'need' one, because
it was interesting to get hands-on with an interpolating TIC.

The systems integrators, as Jim puts it, are going to inherit the earth, and
that's as it should be.  Life is too short to turn your basement into a
one-person Chinese sweatshop.  Meanwhile, the value offered by preassembled
eval/development/training boards can be considerable.

-- john, KE5FX