[time-nuts] Allan Variance versus Allan Deviation

Martyn Smith martyn at ptsyst.com
Mon Mar 28 11:24:08 UTC 2011

Hello,

I'm trying to compare the stability specifications of two oscillators.

The first spec is 2 x 10E-11 Allan Variance.
The second spec is 3 x 10E-11 Allan Deviation.

As Allan deviation (ADEV), is the square root of Allan variance, I thought
the first spec is the better of the two, but a collegue disagrees, saying
3x10E-11 Allan Deviation is a better spec than 2 x 10E-11 Allan Variance.

I'm sure the million experts at there will give me the correct answer

Regards

Steve Jones