[time-nuts] Upgrading TS2100 from TCXO to OCXO

Robert Watzlavick rocket at watzlavick.com
Thu Mar 31 01:40:19 UTC 2011

Assuming your OCXO unit came from the vendor pre-configured that way,
that means there are no changes required to the info field to convert it
from a TCXO to OCXO, just the gain and filter setting.  This also seems
to match what Greg Dowd mentioned yesterday.

My unit (TCXO/GPS originally) has the root/eng/timing/offset set to
-100. A TCXO-IRIG unit that I looked at has an offset value of 0.  When
I was first bringing up my unit with the OCXO, I was comparing the 10
MHz output against a stabilized Thunderbolt and I noticed the TS2100 EFC
voltage seemed to stabilize but there was an offset in the 10 MHz
output.  The lock LED wasn't turning on either.  I got impatient and
started poking around and that's when I noticed the "offset" parameter
was set to -100.  I changed it to 0 and the lock LED immediately turned
on but then the EFC started heading the other direction.  I put it back
at -100, let it sit for a few hours, and it eventually locked without a
frequency offset.  I'll set my offset back to 0 and see where it ends up
overnight.

I believe the bc635PCI has a very similar timing engine and its manual
has an entry for Command 0x29, Set/Request Advance/Retard Clock Value
which may be a similar function.  The description says "This command
sets the value of the advance/retard clock that is used to slew the
timing the 1PPS epoch.  This command will allow the user to speed up, or
slow down, the on-board oscillator while the TFP is in a flywheel state
or Freewheel Mode.  The TFP adjusts up to 100 msec per second.  Each
count is 10 us."  If it was the same timing engine, then you would think
the units would be the same though.

-Bob