[time-nuts] JJY40

Kiwi Geoff geoff36 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 01:15:25 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 Murray Greenman wrote:
> I've also observed that JJY40 is now off the air. It has been excellent
> reception down here in New Zealand for many years, generally better than
> the JJY signal on 60kHz, where of course it competes with other signals.
>
> JJY40 was typically strong enough to hear by ear during the day as well
> as at night here, and fades considerably for an hour or two at sunrise
> and sunset. There is some evidence that Japanese radio-controlled
> ('Atomic') clocks work in New Zealand using this signal, as there is no
> closer source.

Murray, I was delighted this morning (10 May 2011) to see that my
little radio controlled clock that I have in Christchurch, NZ ( 9,518
Km from JJY40 ) indicated that it had synced using the 40KHz JJY
signal.

So after free running for something like 2 months, my radio clock is
once again correct.

The JJY40 station had been closed due to being inside the exclusion
zone of the Fukushima nuclear accident from the Japanese Earthquake
and Tsunami on March 11th 2011.

Regards, Geoff