[time-nuts] Continuous timestamping reciprocal counter question

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat May 14 07:28:31 UTC 2011

On 05/13/2011 04:56 PM, Tijd Dingen wrote:
> To calculate the frequency from these time stamps you have to do some slop fitting. If you use a least squares matrix approach for that I could see how the more random distribution could help prevent singularities.
>
> The only reason I can see now to really try harder to always get the exact Nth edge is for numerical solving. As in, should you choose a solver that only operates optimally for equidistant samples.
>
> Any thoughts?

You don't have to get exactly every Nth edge. But you need to count the
edges. A continuous time-stamping counter will count time and edges and
the time-stamp will contain both (except in some special conditions
where it isn't needed).

There are a number of different approaches on how frequency is extracted
out of the dataset, however very few of them assumes perfect event count
distance.

Cheers,
Magnus