[time-nuts] Sidereal timekeeping

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun May 15 21:37:35 UTC 2011

On 5/15/11 2:22 PM, iovane at inwind.it wrote:
> Hi all,
> does anybody out there have any ideas as where to find a 32859Hz crystal (1/2
> that value would be better) to be used to replace 32768 crystals in ordinary
> clocks? I think that 32768 crystals cannot be dragged that much. I've already
> read the JimLux article somewhere on the web, but I would be pleased finding a
> simpler solution. Also, I already have computer programs that show sidereal
> time.
> Thanks,
> Antonio I8IOV

Heh.. I cheated and used a 3325B to make whatever frequency we wanted.
(even better, you can use GPIB to change the frequency vs time to make a
"clock" that displays unusual things like "height above horizon" or
"azimuth to orbiter")  Whether this would be more useful than just
driving a dial with a stepper motor is sort of a good question.

I think you're right that you can't drag a 32768 crystal down by one
part in 365.  Maybe you could do it by opening the can and putting some
mass on the crystal resonator?