[time-nuts] Personal time keeping...

Rob Kimberley rk at timing-consultants.com
Thu May 19 19:02:50 UTC 2011

Who was the man from Datum?
Rob K

-----Original Message-----
From: time-nuts-bounces at febo.com [mailto:time-nuts-bounces at febo.com] On
Behalf Of Burt I. Weiner
Sent: 19 May 2011 15:56
To: time-nuts at febo.com
Subject: [time-nuts] Personal time keeping...

Chuck,

In another post I spoke about spending a few days with a fellow from DATUM.
A lot of our idle chit-chat was about accuracy in timing and GPS vs.other
off-air standards and propagation.  He told me about his background in the
military and precision measurements and about a watch he used to have that
displayed in GPS seconds - fascinating stuffs.  I noticed that he wasn't
wearing a watch and I commented on that.  He told me that he'd spent a good
part of his life knowing precisely what time it was and still does the same
thing in his work at DATUM.  He then went on to comment that he was tired of
knowing exactly what time it was and he personally got sick of knowing the
exact time.  He also said that looking at the kitchen clock once a day was
close enough for him, that it reduced the stress on him.

Burt

At 07:43 AM 5/19/2011, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote
>My personal preference is for highly jeweled totally mechanical
>automatic winding  wristwatches.  My hobby compels me to have high
>accuracy time and frequency around, but my life just doesn't run with
>that kind of precision.
>
>-Chuck Harris

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services