[time-nuts] Personal time keeping...

Daniel Schultz n8fgv at usa.net
Thu May 19 20:07:47 UTC 2011

When I was a kid growing up in the Detroit area the telephone company's time
service gave a message every ten seconds: "At the tone, the time will be 9:45
and twenty seconds... BEEP". When I moved to Iowa City, Iowa, for graduate
school, the telephone company's time service message was "The time is 9:45",
no beep, no ten second update. What a culture shock that was.

Every morning the University of Iowa power plant blew a steam whistle at 8 am.
People adjusted their schedules to the whistle. One year on April Fools Day
they blew the whistle at 7 am. That must have caused a few heart attacks.....

Dan Schultz N8FGV