[time-nuts] What are these towers?

David Martindale dave.martindale at gmail.com
Fri May 20 22:34:28 UTC 2011

There is a similar array of 8 towers on the southern shore of Lake
Ontario, at 43° 12' 50" N  79° 36' 30" W.  I used to drive past it
frequently when I lived in that area.  I once found an article
describing the design of that particular array.  It is apparently the
antenna for a powerful AM broadcast station that serves the Toronto
area, but is on the same frequency as a much lower-power station in
Rochester NY.  The array is designed to send as much power as possible
towards Toronto, in a direction that is basically broadside to the
long axis of the array, while having a deep null aimed towards
Rochester.

Apparently, about 2/3 of the transmit power is fed to just one of the
eight towers, and most of the remainder goes to a couple more.  So the
majority of the towers are there for nothing more than creating and
aiming the null in the pattern.

     Dave