[time-nuts] What are these towers?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri May 20 23:47:14 UTC 2011

On May 20, 2011, at 7:42 PM, Jim Lux wrote:

> 1070 kHz is also KNX, a 50kW clear channel station in Los Angeles.
> That might be why the pattern's so small in any direction but
> southeast at night.
>
> So what is generally south east from Houston.  Galveston, I know,
> but that's not very far away.  Are they trying to broadcast to Cuba
> as well? Or the Yucatan peninsula or oil rig  and boat crews out in
> the gulf?

Nah; KNTH is north-north-west of the population center, and thus
'throws' its pattern toward the population center.  FCC rules require
a certain field strength for the station's 'city of license' and to do
that the pattern is pointed towards the population center.  I remember
hearing some SBE (Society of Broadcast Engineers) friends talking
about this 'crazy 11 tower array in Texas' years ago; nice to actually
see it from the air.... :-)