[time-nuts] What are these towers?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat May 21 13:56:24 UTC 2011

On 5/20/11 11:51 PM, cook michael wrote:
> Le 21/05/2011 08:30, Robert Darlington a écrit :
>> Guys, I gotta ask, what does this have to do with time keeping? Am I
>> missing something?
>>
>> -Bob
>>
> I know what you mean. I was desperately fighting down the urge to reply
> to Lamar's post to query the significance of cows and horses.
>> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 9:59 PM,<W4wj at aol.com> wrote:

there *is* a sort of tangential connection.  One of the more interesting
strategies in broadcasting these days is forming coverage areas with
arrays of geographically dispersed transmitters, all synchronized well
enough that the signals received from all transmitters are appropriately
synced.

I think this is being done with DVB-T in europe, maybe someone will comment?

In any case, it requires a fairly decent synchronization to make this
work at UHF frequencies.