[time-nuts] VIGO time interval devices

Jose Camara camaraq1 at quantacorp.com
Wed Nov 2 03:50:24 UTC 2011

There seems to be a deluge of these OEM counters, mimicking the 53132
operation, with a bit better "specs" and built-in 3rd channel.

	Berkeley Nucleonics has them, Keithley has them, they all must come
from the same Chinese OEM. Maybe the quality is good, maybe the specs are
honest and apples to apples. Or maybe not.

	The only experience I had was with another Agilent knock-off, the
BNC-branded arb generator model 645, which was cheaper than the Agilent,
with a higher frequency capability (50MHz compared to 20MHz) and SCPI
compatible. Didn't check side by side on a spectrum analyzer, but for the
application I had it worked fine.  As a plus, it had also digital output on
the back (16 bits) so it doubled as a cheap word generator.

	It would be nice for a real time nutter to get one (BNC often
offered 1 month loaners) and measure the actual performance.  One thing we
will only know 10 years from now is if they last as long as the HPs - or if
the manufacturer will still exist.

	BNC has a comparison to Agilent and Pendulum on their site. Caveat
Emptor. http://www.berkeleynucleonics.com/Comp/1105/1105_comp_chart.htm

Jose