[time-nuts] Monitoring the Rapco 1804M - how antenna changes affect the unit

Joe Leikhim JLeikhim at Leikhim.com
Wed Nov 2 18:51:40 UTC 2011

I tried a similar Garmin antenna with my Datum ET6000 and the lock times
were really long, even with the antenna on a 14 foot pole above the
roof.  I attribute a lot of this to the long 8 ft RG174 style coax
pigtail. I have to wonder if the gain of the preamp as published
actually includes the inherent cable loss, and even if so the preamp
must be screaming in gain to make up for the loss. I intend to get a
proper antenna.

Here is a comparison of specs of these type antennas:

http://gpsinformation.net/main/gpsantrev1.htm

--
Joe Leikhim

Leikhim and Associates