[time-nuts] Is a FS700 useable in the USA?

Scott Harris scott at flatironresearch.com
Sat Nov 5 23:03:08 UTC 2011

I picked up a SRS FS700 LORAN-C frequency standard cheap and is seem to be functional, but I don't have the active antenna. I've googled around and it seems that the Coast Guard has shut down its LORAN sites, but that there still are some sites working in the USA. Is this true?

I live about 20 miles west of Boulder, CO. Can I rig up a simple antenna and pick up a useful signal? I've looked around in the list archives and it seems like I need to put a resistor across the antenna jack in order to fool the unit into thinking it has the active antenna attached.

Thanks,
-Scott N8YY