[time-nuts] Is a FS700 useable in the USA?

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 14:59:44 UTC 2011

Scott
I do not believe any antenna will allow you to even hear the signal. Much
less allow it to become useful.
I have a srs700 on the eastcoast and on rare evenings I can barely get the
European signals. On occasion get lock I have a good preamplified antenna
some what away from noise sources. (Relatively speaking).
I have numbers of other LORAN C rcvrs and as an example the austrons seem a
bit better at recovering the signals.

So funny story at the last two ham flea markets in new england a dealer is
carrying around a FS700 approached him at these flea markets. Well the
thing was gold. Wanted $300-400 for the unit. It did not matter that it was
useless in the US. I would put these at a value of $20 today.

Unless you happen to have a LORAN C simulator. But then its only good for
comparing 2 references against each other. Or more importantly a fine case
for a GPS reference. :-)
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL