[time-nuts] FE-5680A power

Murray Greenman denwood at orcon.net.nz
Thu Nov 10 23:56:55 UTC 2011

It's my experience (and I have two FE-5680A and an FE-5680B, plus a couple
of FE-5650As) that you don't need a +5V supply with the FE-5680x devices,
just a +15V supply.

Now of course the model number has little to do with what we find inside -
there seem to be many variants - so I recommend that before you power it up,
you look inside and identify what regulators there are internally. They will
be on the end PCB which holds the DB9 connector, and bolted to the heatsink
block down the centre of the unit. If you've two regulators, one will be for
+12V, the other +5V, and so just feed +15V. You should be able to trace the
regulator inputs back to the connector to confirm.

If there is no +5V regulator (and I'd be surprised), then clearly you'll
need to work out where to provide the +5V, and again I recommend tracing
back from the power pins of some ICs to the connector to be sure.

Much better to be safe than sorry!

73,
Murray ZL1BPU