[time-nuts] The GPS velocity of light versus neutrinos

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 05:05:16 UTC 2011

You guys missed my point.  I did not mean that survey and timing errors are
so large  What I meant was that even if you assume unreasonably large
errors (like a surveyor being off by a full meter) you still don't get
60nS.

If I were to bet money, still I'd bet on some experimental error.  That is
the safe bet.  But I'd sure be happy to loose

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 11/21/11 5:15 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> You can have a surveyor come out and locate your gizmo to sub one inch
>> accuracy for a lot less than a clock trip costs. A one meter ( or 3 ns)
>> error would be pretty large these days. Both have been demonstrated /
>> proven so often that they aren't really open to challenge.
>>
>> The total error is a sum of lots of things. Location and time of day are
>> the easy stuff...
>>

>  OK, So assume an unlikely huge position uncertainly of one meter.    On
>>> top of
>>> that let's assume the surveyor got it wrong too and missed by a full
>>> meter.    Both of these added together can only account for about 10%
>>> of what they saw.   Light moves across one meter in about 3nS   You
>>> need to explain 60nS  If the result is because of uncertainty in the
>>> location then the we are talking about 20 meters of position error.
>>>

> in the first paper, the distance uncertainty was given as 20cm

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California