[time-nuts] Symmetricom TimeSource 2700

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Thu Nov 24 21:43:07 UTC 2011

I wrote:

>The Craft output feeds a PC Com port -- I'd think that reading the
>Com port with a terminal emulator should verify whether the "date"
>and "time" events are sent regularly, or only with Alarms or Events.

I just did this, and the TS2700 has been silent for 30 minutes (it
has not had an Alarm or Event since its last power cycle, about 6
months ago, according to its log).  I did not want to disturb it by
creating an Alarm or Event.  However, I tested the terminal emulator
by switching the COM port to a TBolt, and confirmed that the TBolt is
very chatty.  So:  I conclude that the TS2700 sends time and date
information to the Craft output only as parameters in Alarm and Event
messages, not as independent events (at least not more frequently
than once in 1/2 hour).

Best regards,

Charles