[time-nuts] Low noise power supplies - dont' use Electrolytics

gary lists at lazygranch.com
Mon Nov 28 09:05:22 UTC 2011

Ceramic caps can be microphonic. Just something to be on the look out.
Not so much with leaded ceramics, but more of a problem with surface mounts.

Tantalums are prone to overvoltage failure. Best to really overspec them
regarding voltage.

Note that some LDOs are not stable with really low ESR bypass. There are
app notes on this. I've stated my preference for p-fet pass devices, or
better yet, shunt regulators. The PNP pass devices will need feedforward
compensation if the ESR is too low.