[time-nuts] Symmetricom TimeSource 2700

Kevin Rosenberg kevin at rosenberg.net
Tue Nov 29 19:06:47 UTC 2011

Hi Charles,

Thanks very much for the information on the pinout of the TOD connector
on the TS2700.

I verified the PPS signal between pins 6 and 1. It's duration and voltage
matches your report. I compared the timing of the PPS signal with the PPS
of two synchronized thunderbolts.

Interesting, the PPS signal from the TS2700 is delayed a rather constant
280ms compared to the two TBolts over about a minute of observation.

One reason why I'm interested in the PPS output is to provide a varied
NTP source for my Soekris 4501s. I have TBolts, M12M, Netclock/2 WWVB,
and Garmin 18x. I thought it's be nice to have a CDMA clock as well.

If of the PPS offset remains a constant, then I could use the TS2700 as
an NTP reference clock. (I realize I'd have to write an NTP driver for
the device). But, the fact that the TS2700 is a 1/4 sec off of GPS
PPS makes me suspicious that the device was never interested to provide
a precise PPS -- just a reference frequency source as advertised.

Anyway, many thanks for all your help in understanding the device.
I'll report more if I learn anything interesting.

Kevin