[time-nuts] Symmetricom TimeSource 2700

Peter Bell bell.peter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 02:54:45 UTC 2011

Assuming it's just tracking the CDMA pilots, the 1PPS output is likely
not aligned with UTC.  The problem is that the pilot channel is just a
PN sequence with no modulating data - so when you lock to it you can
know that your local clock is 19200Hz * 64 chips/bit (1.228MHz) - but
that's all you know.  Even the code phase doesn't tell you anything,
since there are two unknowns - the first is the distance to the cell
and the second is the code phase offset on this specific pilot (each
BTS has it's modulating sequence offset by an integer multiple of 64
chips to reduce mutual interference) - the second piece of information
you can obtain by reading one of the overhead channels, but the first
is basically not available just using a receiver (your phone