[time-nuts] Measuring short term stability minus linear drift

bownes bownes at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 02:48:29 UTC 2011

On Oct 8, 2011, at 18:27, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

>> I find that at JPL (and I assume others have found this too) that we'll  go
>> off and reinvent the wheel (maybe because we're working in parallel
>> ignorance) for something.
>
> I remember a story from many years ago.  I think the context was chemical
> rather than electronics.
>
> The idea was that if the experiment cost less than $X, it was cheaper to do
> the experiment (again?) rather than do the literature search.  I think X was
> 50K.  It was surprisingly big to me at the time.
>

>> There's also the classic gap between the groups doing theoretical work in
>> one building and groups building and testing hardware in another building
>> 1000 meters away, and the two groups never have time to meet, and in some
>> cases, may not even be aware of the other's existence
>
> Eating lunch in the same cafeteria can help a lot.

When I worked at GE R&D many moons ago they did some mix & match of labs just to get interactions between the scientists. There were wings for various groups of course, but the famous story was the guys researching plastics for CDs needed a hot humid environment for testing. So the dishwasher guys loaned them an instrumented one.