[time-nuts] GPSDO recommendation

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 04:48:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Peter Gottlieb <nerd at verizon.net> wrote:

> I have been using Rb oscillators as my standard for a while but would like
> to be able to have both a frequency as well as time standard which is
> synchronized to something outside my lab.  I would like to have:
>
> Frequency stability at least as good as the Rb osc
> Time server which can be accessed on my network
> 12 or 24 volt DC operation for easy power backup
> Cost ideally $200 or less
>
> I am willing to do some building and gathering to implement this, including
> setting up a computer.  The time server need only last as long as the
> computer is up in a power outage, although I would keep the base
> receiver/osc running for an extended period.
>
> Any recommendations?

What level of accuracy do you need on the server.  If "a few milliseconds"
is good enough then you can use internet pool servers as you reference and
you don't need GPS.  If you need a microsecond or better then you are
pushing the state of the art  GPS can work between those limits.         The
hardest part will be finding a computer that can run Linux or BSD UNIX and
an run on 12 or 24 volts DC. I'd guess and older used notebook computer
would be best.   "Old" is best too because you will need a "real" serial
port, not a USB converter.  Use real serial port for best accuracy when
connecting to GPS.    The software NTP, will come with linux or BSD.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California