[time-nuts] DCF77 question

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Oct 13 05:28:47 UTC 2011

> Is it possible to decode that signal by any very
> simple "on-my-shelf gear", as for instance a PC
> sound card,to recover a good seconds time mark?
> Do you know some software to perform the above task?
> Thanks for reading.
> Antonio

Unless you have a 192 KHz sampling audio card, the frequency is too high
for direct decoding.

You can get low-cost receivers for both the UK (MSF) and German (DCF77)
VLF transmitters.  One write-up is here:

which mentions a Conrad 641138-92 module, and offers part for UK

Quite honestly, if time is your only interest, for the cost it's as cheap
to get a low-cost GPS receiver board such as those mentioned elsewhere on
the list.

David GM8ARV
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu
Email:  david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk