[time-nuts] Cable delay correction for Tbolt Cs substitude

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 16 18:21:34 UTC 2011

Thanks John

Any chance using 75 ohm cable (as suggested in the Tbolt manual) like RG6U,
when used in a 50 Ohm system could be orders of magnitude worse than
LMR-400?
Sounds like may be time to do some controlled cable experiments comparing
different cables.

I do know that Cheapie GPS timing antenna's can have a large Phase variation
when the Sun hits them.
I had one antenna that changed 25 ns every day around Noon time.
That is when I changed over to a Symmetricom 58532A antenna and things
improved 10 fold.
With the new antenna the phase error change is now down at least near the
GPS noise level,
but it seems to still have some "antenna system" temperature effects.

Maybe a silly question but how can a 1.5GHz preamp and filter change the
phase over so many cycles?

Does anyone ever add a temperature controller on the antenna? Maybe that
should be my next test.

ws

******************

from John Ackermann N8UR

I did some very rough measurements last summer with. Run of LMR-400 that was
laying on the roof in the hot Georgia sun.
Using a network analyzer to "ping" the cable I found the day vs. night delay
difference was pretty much in the noise.  I'll see if I can find the details
and if so will post them.

I found via google a brief paper from Haystack that measured LMR-400 and
LMR-240 and found in the range of -11 to +17 ppm/K of the total cable delay.
They note that 9 ppm/K is about 3ps/degree in 100M of cable:

http://www.haystack.mit.edu/tech/vlbi/mark5/mark5_memos/069.pdf

However, there's another possible tempo contributor that I suspect could be
a significant contributor, and that's the preamp up in the antenna,
particularly if it has a bandpass filter.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if
preamp/BPF tempo was noticeable.

John