[time-nuts] Atomic clocks - Why alkali metals?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Oct 29 21:18:44 UTC 2011

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 20:19:27 +0200
Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:

> Related to this is the question why only H, Rb and Cs are used.
> Although, from my point of view there isnt anything that speaks
> against using Li, K or Na, these are not used at all. At least i
> couldnt find any papers or other documents describing frequency
> standards build on these elements.

Correction, Na has been used as well. While searching for something
else i found an old paper [1] that describes a vapor cell based
on a sodium lamp. The design is basically the same as of those in
common resonant cavity Rb vapor standards.

			Attila Kinali

[1] A Microwave Frequency Standard Employing Optically Pumped Sodium Vapor
http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.1959.1124630

use without that foundation.