[time-nuts] Averaging Location for Position Hold

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Wed Sep 14 06:22:49 UTC 2011

Just looked up all USGS maintained benchmarks within 30 mi radius of my
home. One, at about 1.7 mi is a class A. the search site is
http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_radius.prl
Took me less than 5 min to find it via Google.
Don

Jim Lux
> On 9/13/11 4:24 PM, lists at lazygranch.com wrote:
>> I think I mentioned this is a thread one before. If you are really
>> interested in position accuracy, you look up a calibrated point from
>> the USGS that you can safely and legally access, then take a reading.
>> I say safely because many points are in the middle of the street.
>> Legally means no trespassing or you ask permission.  My preference is
>> to find one in a park.
>>

> Often, you can talk to the local city/county and find out where some
> accurate benchmarks are, typically on a curb.  They are used to define
> street positions and such.
>
> May not be accurate to centimeters, and you'll almost certainly have to
> convert from some state plane coordinates.

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
R. Bacon
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road