[time-nuts] Synchronisizing a 100MHz TCXO with Tbold (3)

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Mon Sep 19 22:58:49 UTC 2011

Hi

I suspect you can find a part with significantly better noise floor. "Very good" is around -170 dbc / Hz at a 10 KHz offset. There's a lot of room between that and -135.

Best guess is that you start rolling up at 1 KHz on a part like that. More or less you would get:

100 Hz	-125 dbc / Hz
10 Hz	-105
1 Hz	-85

At the phase detector, you would have -85 - 20 log(100/10) = -95 dbc / Hz. At 10 Hz you would have -125. In both cases the TBolt is lower noise than the divided TCXO. A PLL with a 3db loop bandwidth of around 20 Hz should work just fine. Parts values on a loop like that should be very rational. The resulting combination of TCXO + TBolt would be more quiet than the TBolt alone.

For that matter, your 10 KHz noise works out to -155 at 10MHz. You could lock anywhere inside 10 KHz and likely the TBolt + TCXO would still be more quiet than the TCXO alone. The problem there would be the noise floor of the divider and detector ….

Bob